- "I...have a dream. That one day, people of all species can marry in harmony"
- —Renée McBonjour, an inter-species icon, minutes before assassination
The offspring of inter-species marriages are referred to as halfbreeds, who are seen as freaks of nature. They are hybrids of two animals (or more if their grandparents were inter-species), such as monkey/rabbit or rat/aardvark.
On February 12, 2015, the Inter-Species Revolution took place. Inter-species marriage supporters ambushed the Elwood City capital after the government killed inter-species icons, the McBonjour couple. Mayor Hirsch was killed by Nigel Ratburn, who then became mayor. Nigel Ratburn legalized inter-species marriage in Elwood City on February 25, 2015.
The punishment for being married to a different species is usually imprisonment. Renée and Jean-Claude were arrested for their marriage, although they were released in The Power of the People. Being in an inter-species relationship (that is, boyfriend/girlfriend but not married) is not illegal but extremely taboo, and may result in getting ostracized from your social group. Inter-species relationship is cause for getting fired, which is why Mr. Ratburn and Miss Sweetwater keep their relationship a secret.
List of known inter-species relationshipsEdit
This is a list of all of the inter-species relationships and marriages in Elwood.
- Renée & Jean-Claude McBonjour (rabbit + monkey; married)
- John Morris & Bitzi Baxter (rabbit + dog; broken up)
- John Morris & Zorkbo (dog + Zionican alien; separated)
- Nigel Ratburn & Serenity Sweetwater (rat + rabbit)
- Francis Haney & Miss Tingley (bear + rabbit)
- Sally MacGill & Corey † (bear + aardvark; broken up)
- Ed Crosswire & Jane Read (monkey + aardvark; secret)
- Multiple unnamed couples in The Power of the People.